Saturday, May 22, 2010

The Beginning of the End


Unfortunately this is not a review of the season 4 premiere. We are less than 36 hours from the Lost finale. I think it finally hit me after "What They Died For" that it really is all coming to an end. I'm trying to think of other shows that I have been as invested in that have had a series finale. Many of my favorites, either I didn't get into until after they had aired (The Wire, Firefly/Serenity) or in the case of Battlestar, I wasn't caught up on previous seasons until the final 6 episodes were airing so there wasn't the long goodbye. With Lost, I have been a faithful viewer since the Season 2 premiere. I actually saw the pilot, but the show aired on Wednesday nights, and Wednesday's were Kinvara trivia and dollar draft night at the Kells so there really was no room for a serial drama as a senior in college. After watching Season 1 during a two day viewing marathon, I have seen every episode since. I know many of you have similar stories (Julia and Jim watched 4 seasons in a matter of days I think). I am excited for tomorrow but at the same time I know that this is the end of an era in television. There really aren't any good serial dramas on the horizon (I think Caprica has been promising but I'm not convinced that SyFy will give it a chance to get its legs). It is very difficult for shows to get the right mix. Lost caught lightning in a bottle. Look at all the shows that have tried to piggyback and failed: Invasion, Day Break, The Nine, Flash Forward, Heroes after season 2. I think Fringe is the only show with a overarching story arc that is still successful (of course J.J. Abrams is at the helm). I'm sad that the story is ending and I don't want to let these characters go, but I will say I am excited to find out how it ends and almost as excited to go back and watch all 6 seasons again (DVD and Blu-Ray box set out this summer!). It has been a pleasure sharing with you over the past two seasons and maybe in the future we can coordinate a a rewatch to discuss some episodes after knowing how everything ends. I will probably hold off posting any thoughts after the finale to give myself time for everything to set in. I hope you all have enjoyed this show as much as I have. I look forward to having a spirited discussion after all is said and done, but until then, if anything goes wrong Desmond Hume will be my constant.

No comments:

Post a Comment